Archive for July, 2013

DX-Twitter – CL Twitter Interface

July 23, 2013

I have been doing a lot of refactoring of some of my existing projects and dx-twitter was the results of one of those refactoring sessions.

Like the repository says its a “A nearly usefull collection of lisp functions to use twitter api with”.

Well its a little more usefull now because I added a parser that translates tweets to cl objects for you so you don’t have to do the tedious bits of processing twitter stream feeds.

What is missing is some helper functions to handle continous streams from twitter.

As an asside I ended up with dx-oauth “a loose collection of functions to help with oauth”. A lot of the nasty bits where borrowed (with permission) from cl-oauth. dx-oauth focuses on what you need to use oauth with third party api’s like twitter and Facebook.

Yes dx-facebook is next, but I have not had the chance to push it to github yet but it will be there some time this month.

dx-twitter is simple, nothing fancy, but if you have ever tried to use social media api’s like the one for Twitter (or god forbid Facebook) you will know that there are a thousand little gotcha’s when calling api’s with oauth that can make life a missery. Hope fully dx-twitter can safe you some of that pain for the Twitter api.

If it looks a little rough around the edges it is because it is rough around the edges. However it will get smoothed out during the next month as I start using it in a commercial application.


WFX (CL web widgets) – Update

July 23, 2013

So I have not blogged for ages (more than a year, eish it feels like yesterday!), yeah I know it is bad form, but I have been busy. Well its a good excuse, if it means that some existing open source libs where updated and some new ones got birthed.

WFX a widget framework based on hunchentoot and cl-who has been receiving some much needed TLC. It now boasts an ajax grid and a lot of other basic widgets like linked drop downs etc.

Yes we have an ajax enabled acceptor with some functions to make using ajax simpler.

WFX also got some base widgets to help with integrating to html templates bought of the web, so now its easier to integrate that kewl admin template you got for a steel.

The changes have not been merged with the master branch because I am upgrading all my commercial sites with the changes first to make sure that what gets merged into the master is solid.

Yeah I should have kept my trap shut until all the changes where in master but I got excited because WFX will be easier to use now because a lot of the foot work has been done for you.

To make our lives even simpler there is dx-starter-site to help you kick start a site with security etc. but that needs some more work. The big question is do I add db support straight into it because we use xdb2 as our db for everything and I don’t know if that is what people would want. The idea with dx-strater site is that it should contain all the basics you need to start straight in with a web application instead having to do boring logins and other stuff to use out of the box.

If you are curious about the changes to WFX you can have a look at the expand-func branch.